A vaccine delivery system without the needles, and further evidence that Thea helped form our moon!
T-Rex kept a cool head, first AI developed human vaccine, and painstakingly mapping a mouse brain.
SoT 324: Kinetic Penetrator
- March 5, 2019
- Tagged as: asteroids, astronomy, conservation, DNA, echidnas, flu, fraud, genetics, Hyabusa 2, influenza, JAXA, Mars One, Ryugu, scam, space exploration, vaccination
Japan’s asteroid sample return mission has a big success, tracking smuggled echidnas, Mars One file bankruptcy and a potential universal flu vaccine.
SoT 211: Our Favourite Science Stories of 2015
- December 24, 2015
- Tagged as: asthma, bacteria, bacteriophage, bad media, bad science, beards, cancer, Ceres, fluoride, immunology, meat, MS, multiple sclerosis, NASA, New Horizons, norovirus, pluto, sexual orientation, stem cells, Top stories, vaccination, Vaccines, vomit, Winter bug
Our top stories from 2015. All the stories we thought particularly interesting, plus the times where the media or scientists got things very wrong.
SoT 208: Better Than Hookworm
- December 2, 2015
- Tagged as: blood brain barrier, chemotherapy, flu, flu vaccine, HPV, pap smears, parasitic worms, vaccination
Chemotherapy through the blood brain barrier, parasitic worms that affect fertility, the flu vaccine’s effectiveness over time, and a trial of HPV tests vs pap smears.
SoT 199: Look Into My Eyes
A fifth giant planet in our solar system, developing a universal flu vaccine, reproducibility in psychology, and staring into people’s eyes for 10 minutes.
SoT 194: A Great Big Tool
Mini ice age nonsense, world’s first malaria vaccine, $100m funding to search for aliens, ancient dentistry and (sort of) an Earth-like exoplanet.
SoT 188: Somehow, Because Of Science
- June 3, 2015
- Tagged as: beak, chickens, dinosaurs, endothermic, evolution, exothermic, fish, Jahn-Teller effect, Jahn-Teller metals, matter, measles, Opah, snout, superconductivity, vaccination, warm-blooded
Warm-blooded moonfish, measles vaccines prevents more than just measles, a new state of matter created and chickens with dinosaur snouts.
SoT 174: The Happiest Place on Earth (For Measles)
- February 9, 2015
- Tagged as: Antarctica, Beagle 2, Disneyland, fish, Herculaneum, ice, mars, Measels, MS, multiple sclerosis, Pompeii, space exploration, stem cells, vaccination, Villa of the Papyri
Anti-vaxxers responsible for Disneyland measles outbreak, fish found in Antarctica where they shouldn’t be, new treatment for MS, the Beagle 2 Mars lander found, and reading ancient scrolls with X-rays.
SoT 148: Birdie Feet Marks
- May 26, 2014
- Tagged as: anti-vaccination, artificial life, bacteria, bird migration, DNA, EMF, memory, neurogenesis, polio, quorum sensing, synthetic biology, vaccination
Radio signals baffling birds, DNA with 6 base pairs instead of 4, forgetting old memories to remember the new, lonely bacteria and polio makes a comeback.